Best of Both Worlds
The BlackBerry Torch 9800 combines the best of two worlds. This unit is equipped with a BlackBerry so typical QWERTY keyboard, and a 3.2 inch capacitive touch screen. That makes the 9800 suitable for keen Torch users who want to see a touchscreen and touch-enthusiasts who want to feel the BlackBerry experience. From the GPS receiver and the 5-megapixel camera to the fast Internet connections and the Document Viewer. The Torch is trusted and that is a pleasant thought during busy work and leisure time.
Like all other BlackBerry devices, the Torch keeps you up with your email. New messages are sent directly to your Torch, and the LED indicator will notify discreetly that there are new messages. Through the real or the virtual qwerty keyboard you will set up a post as easy as possible. Office files can be opened with no problem and fast web browsing can be used any time. With Torch in your pocket you're never tied to your workplace.
Multimedia & Navigation
If you want to enjoy relaxing music or if you prefer to watch a funny movie, the Torch supports both cases. Equipped with a media player, a speaker and one 3.5 mm headphone jack you can listen to your digital record collection alone or with friends. Footage can be watched on the 3.2 inch display in 16 million colors! The photographers among us also get their hearts with the 5-megapixel camera and the built-in GPS receiver ensures you a straight navigation to any destination. With the BlackBerry Torch 9800 entertainment is never far away.Click on Web Support were we took a closer look on this platform.
The BlackBerry Torch 9800
has the usual collection of superb mail and enterprise security
features, including BlackBerry’s unparalleled keyboard for long typing
The Torch has everything that a developer expects from a modern HTML5 browser. You don’t have to worry about performance if you’re simply presenting content.
You do have to focus on
performance tuning for dynamic content and when building true
applications. Here, stick to simple CSS styling and watch your use of
dynamic CSS capabilities. Some work fine , but the more advanced
capabilities will have performance quirks.
We tested our Sliding Panels, HTML5 Slideshow, Sliding Menu and HTML5 Image Enhancer and they work perfectly. Of course there are css styling issues, but that will hopefully be fixed later on. Another cool thing is that for example, Sliding Menu gives you the opportunity to choose a css style, which is hardly to distinguish from the native phone interface.
A sad thing is that the torch doesn't support flash so every flash-based extensions can not be applied. The HTML5 MP3 Player won't work on this BlackBerry because it uses SoundManager 2, which has limited support at the moment.
As you can see, it doesn't show the reflections of the frogs, apart from that it works fine.
HTML5 Slideshow is doing a perfect job! High animation quality and no Flash.
You can choose between Fade, Reveal, Push, Slide or Random transition for your slides.
You have various styles to fit your web site perfectly!
BlackBerry Torch 9800 contains professional features and everything that a developer wishes from a modern browser. The only thing is that you should leave the advanced CSS styling because they will have some errors.
We tested our beloved HTML5 Extensions and they work perfectly, but the flash-based extensions sadly won't get any support.
At the end we came to the conclusion that OS6 browser is an awesome advancement in the BlackBerry Torch and it provides a solid, lower-range HTML5 development platform.
What is in the box?
4 GB MicroSD-card
3.2" HVGA+ 480x360 pixel color display
BlackBerry OS 6.0
5 MP Camera
Expendable memory (up to 32GB)
3.5mm stereo headset jack
More Detailed Features (BlackBerry.com)
The right fit (Closed/Open)
- Height 4.37 in / 111 mm 5.83 in / 148 mm
- Width 2.44 in / 62 mm 2.44 in / 62 mm
- Depth 0.57 in / 14.6 mm 0.57 in / 14.6 mm
- Weight 5.68 oz / 161.1 g 5.68 oz / 161.1 g
Power you need
- 1300 mAHr removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Talk time: Up to 5.5 hours (GSM®), up to 5.8 hours (UMTS®)1
- Standby time: : Up to 18 days (GSM), up to 14 days (UMTS)1
- Music playback: Up to 30 hours
- Video playback: Up to 6 hours
Loads of memory
- 512 MB onboard memory
- 4 GB eMMC + 4 GB media card included2
- Expandable memory with support for microSD cards up to 32 GB
Find your way
- Built-in GPS functionality
- Includes BlackBerry® Maps
Typing & navigation that suits your life
- Touch screen with on-screen keyboard: portrait SureType®, QWERTY and multi-tap, landscape QWERTY
- Slide-out QWERTY
- ESC key to right of trackpad
- Menu key to left of trackpad
- Keyboard backlighting
Capture the moment
- 5 MP camera
- 2X digital zoom
- Continuous auto focus
- Image stabilization
- Multiple picture-taking modes
- Video recording
Covered by Wi-Fi
- 802.11 b/g/n3
- WPA / WPA2 Personal and Enterprise
- Cisco CCX certified
- Wi-Fi® access to BlackBerry® Enterprise Server
- Wi-Fi access to BlackBerry® Internet Bundle
- Support for UMA (carrier-dependent)
- 3.2" HVGA+ 480x360 pixel color display
- 3.18" (measured diagonally)
- Light-sensing, proximity-detecting screen
- User-selectable font size
Impressive music & video
- Video formats: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, WMV3
- Audio formats: MP3, AMR-NB, AAC-LC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, WMV, Flac, Ogg Vorbis
- 3.5mm stereo headset jack
- Built-in speakerphone
- M3/T3 (open position) rating for hearing aids