Forums

This topic is locked

Navigation

Posted 08 May 2002 15:21:55
has voted
08 May 2002 15:21:55 ben bechka posted:
Hi all.
Even though I have known and used Dreamweaver for a while now I have only used it for embedding my flash. I have seen the error of my ways and now intend to build a site with the minimum of Flash.
This is a challenge as it means I've got to learn alot of new stuff.
Anyway heres my question.
Assumptions:
Suppose I am designing a site in Dreamweaver and have chosen to use tables. In the top table I have placed my nav. This consists pretty much of a main menu and a submenu for each main menu item. I am ussing css to style it.

Q: How to make the colour of a link change when it has been selected (this is not on mouse over more mouse down)?
Seeing I'm using tables when you go to a new page after clicking on the menu item it refreshes. How will the new page know what you selected last and how will it display it?
I know you could simply change the colour of that menu item manually but how can you do it dynamically?

I'm sorry if I haven't explained myself well but hopefully you get the drift!

Bjb

Replies

Replied 08 May 2002 18:04:28
08 May 2002 18:04:28 Viktor Farcic replied:
Are you using some server side language (ASP, PHP...)?

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Hi all.
Even though I have known and used Dreamweaver for a while now I have only used it for embedding my flash. I have seen the error of my ways and now intend to build a site with the minimum of Flash.
This is a challenge as it means I've got to learn alot of new stuff.
Anyway heres my question.
Assumptions:
Suppose I am designing a site in Dreamweaver and have chosen to use tables. In the top table I have placed my nav. This consists pretty much of a main menu and a submenu for each main menu item. I am ussing css to style it.

Q: How to make the colour of a link change when it has been selected (this is not on mouse over more mouse down)?
Seeing I'm using tables when you go to a new page after clicking on the menu item it refreshes. How will the new page know what you selected last and how will it display it?
I know you could simply change the colour of that menu item manually but how can you do it dynamically?

I'm sorry if I haven't explained myself well but hopefully you get the drift!

Bjb
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Viktor Farcic

TalkZone Manager
Replied 08 May 2002 20:06:18
08 May 2002 20:06:18 ben bechka replied:
I hope to use asp.

Edited by - bjb on 08 May 2002 20:06:56
Replied 09 May 2002 09:39:53
09 May 2002 09:39:53 Viktor Farcic replied:
You can pass variable to every page.
Something like: page.asp?Page=4
In a menu you can check that variable. Something like:
&lt;%
If Request.QueryString("Page" = 4 Then
*** Code to highlight menu item ***
End If
%&gt;

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Are you using some server side language (ASP, PHP...)?
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Viktor Farcic

TalkZone Manager
Replied 09 May 2002 11:23:36
09 May 2002 11:23:36 ben bechka replied:
Cheers for the info. I was wondering if you can point me to some tutorials onthis very subject.

Bjb

Reply to this topic